Why Writers Abandon Novels
“It would be dead to me for a reason: because it should be dead to everyone else. Oh yes, dead, most dead, deader than dead.” - Joshua Ferris.
Would you, could you, should you abandon a novel? These initial questions popped into my head after reading a recent NYT article ' Why Do Writers Abandon Novels?' I pondered this one long and hard, poured another glass of wine, and pondered a great deal more. Here's what I came up with, Team-Stick-With-It vs. Team-Let-It-Go. I'll let them duke things out amongst themselves, let me know which team you are batting for. And, I mean that purely in regards to this post...
1. You've invested so much blood, sweat and tears in your novel thus far, stick with it!
2. It was a great concept 12 months ago, -stick with it!
3. Ignore Little Miss Self-Doubter, stick with it!
4. You're getting great feedback, -stick with it!
5. You've already scoped out Books 2 and 3. Um, like...yes, that could be true.
6. You promised Great Aunt Ethel, a special dedication on the foreword, -stick with it!
1. The other voices inside your head are so much stronger, let it go...
2. You've lost that loving feeling, let it go...
3. Some stories are for your eyes only, let it go...
4. YA Paranormal is SO, like, 3 years ago. Let.It.Go.
5. You're already been two-timing on the novel with a new project... Let it go, gently.
6. Great Aunt Ethel has lost her marbles, you shouldn't have promised her anyway. Let it go.
For myself, I'm passionate about writing and I have never ever abandoned a story, in fact I go into Lara Croft ala mode, bungee-jumping-across-gargantuan-canyons-to save- an ancient manuscript. No wait, not Lara, she's a Sissy... Maybe more a Marine, that's right-I am Team-Blackhawk-No-Novel-Gets-Left-Behind, if there is life, we will rebuild it, if it's flat-lining, call in those Special Forces, aka your critique partners, sound out new beta readers, 'leave no stone unturned', you can finish it! So, if you are having a dilemma as to keep or leave a novel in the making, my vote is, keep going, the satisfaction in finishing it, -would be a sweet, sweet reward. And who the devil is Lara Croft anyway?
*Whispers* Have you ever abandoned a novel?
A/N: Happy Friday all! Hope you are all well. This week has flown, and I'm happy about that. Plans for this weekend? I shall be celebrating dear friends birthday, more lunching and writing. And, a great big dose of relaxation. I like to keep at least one of the days unplanned, it makes me feel like I'm spontaneous... * laughs to self * How about you?