Oh the life of a disciplined writer. Each day, we sit at our desks, writing, composing, crafting..and then its lunchtime. We always achieve our daily writing goals, 'high-five' each other, share tissues over rejections and toast our successes. Sounds wunderbar! But, lets be honest here, are we all really writing so diligently every day? Yes. No...well, confession time.
My dear Writing Goddess,
It's been a while since my last confession...sometimes when I'm writing, I get distracted and what I actually do is this...
1. Sit at my writing desk, stare cross-eyed at my latest WIP for the longest period of time. I sit without moving a limb, transfixed by the white screen and thousand word count. *blinks*
2. Gaze wistfully outside the window, conveniently located next to said writing desk. I watch the squirrels steal strawberries from hanging planters. I watch cats chase squirrels. I watch foxes chase cats who chase squirrels.
3. Open up as many Safari windows as possible. Facebook, Twitter, Hotmail, Gmail, Online Shopping...easily distracted, what are you talking about? I am writing.
4. Stalk My Favourites...I mean, I check out all my favourite follows on Twitter - oh yes. I do. * Cue Theme Music from Psycho Shower Scene * After Twitter, I hit Facebook and repeat the same action. And, then its Bloggers turn...see, this is a timely process.
Satisfied with stalking, its now mid-morning and ooh, coffee...anyone?
7. Tackle the most important decision of a writers day - what/where to have/for lunch? And, if I'm out for lunch, it gets dangerous, there are shops and I am weak...
8. Having satiated shopping needs, I return to staring at my WIP, composing several wonderful lines...it always feels good after that so I high-five myself, hit shuffle on my playlist and turn the volume up! And, if I ever over achieve my daily word count? Well, its time for a pony dance across the floor. Just before cocktail hour...
So, you see, dear Muse, I am in need of assistance. Please send PA-Secretary-Housekeeper-and supplies for at least two months, so I don't need to leave the house.
Ms. A M Writing.
PS: And, dear Muse, you know this is all hypothetical, right? Good.
A.N: Please feel free to unburden your writing confessions here. I want to know, if you are always so diligent with your writing?
Have a wonderful weekend!