Writing Dangerously in the Nude

Have you ever stripped down before sitting at your desk to write?  Yes, your underwear...and do hold onto your garters, I'm not handing out lap dances!  I'm a terrible dancer.  Let me explain... its hot here in London, and air-conditioning is largely a myth, unless you live at the Ritz...even then, I'm not sure its tolerated.  In any case, this weekend I sat down and wrote.  In my underwear.  And let me tell you, due to the heat that evening, it wasn't so much liberating as a necessity.  Did it make a difference?  Well, ladies and gents, I finally finished my second draft of my current manuscript! So, it's a yes from me! And extra house points from my Muse.  She's happily sipping martinis beside the pond right now.  

Now, if you are hesitant to try this method yourself, remember, its practically an obligatory tradition amongst writers, -Victor Hugo did it,  Hemingway too, and this may surprise you - so did the late great Miss Agatha Christie.  So, my recommendation for unexpected heat waves?  Strip down and sit down and get writing dangerously.  You may just enjoy it!  I secretly did...well, not so secret now.  Just be careful to dash between windows if your shutters aren't closed...


Ruffles, essential for writing dangerously
photocredit via tumblr


A/N: Lets face it, if you're going to write in your underwear, make it something inspiring!  Happy writing this week.  It's still hot today, but apparently we are due thunderstorms - I LOVE thunderstorms!
Talei xox



Comments

Matthew MacNish said…
It's far too hot here in Georgia to survive without A/C, but this still sounds like fun.
Meredith said…
If my A/C ever went out, I would totally do that. But I'm not turning it off for love or money!
Colene Murphy said…
Ha! Interesting! Might give that a try one day. If I ever get uber cute underwear like in that picture, of course! Man...no AC...I feel so spoiled! But no way would I give up AC around here. 90's+ crazy humidity would kill me...
notesfromnadir said…
I can always learn something from your blogs! The least I've ever worn is a tank top & shorts.
Talli Roland said…
I'm in my underwear right now, actually. And sticking to the sofa! It is soooooo hooooooot. Honestly, it's cooler inside than out!
TS Hendrik said…
I can honestly say it's never occurred to me to strip down to write. I don't know if could concentrate, but now I've got to give it a go.
Talei said…
I love how all my American blogging buddies have AC!! Le sigh.

Matthew, if I lived in Georgia, I'd built a snow room...like to play in when it was really, really, really hot! ;)

Meredith, go on! give it a go! Turn off the AC for just a few hours! ;)

Colene, you're all spoilt over there! But, I suspect 90's + would kill me too, and I'd probably be sipping alot more cocktails than usually...which is a lot.

Talli, * high five * I am sitting in my underwear right now as I type this out! There's a gentle breeze every few seconds from my window - so its kinda like AC but like...not... hmm ;-)

TS, yes do it! And report back here with results! ;)
Rosalind Adam said…
There was me imagining all manner of shapely bodies... but Agatha Christie? No! Can you please get the image out of my head!
Talei said…
HA. Yes, Agatha Christie is a hard image to erase... I'm still flabbergasted at the thought - but hey, why not? ;)
Melissa Amateis said…
Hahaha! You crack me up! Thank goodness we have air conditioning that works very well - otherwise, yes, I'd be stripping to my bare essentials, too!

We have had really great thunderstorms the last few evenings...thunder so loud it scares you and shakes the house! Love it, though.
No AC! That's not possible. I live in Las Vegas, where it is currently 110 degrees and no amount of nakedness can help with that. Only AC. Cheers!
Talei said…
Melissa, I love thunderstorms - they both scare and excite me! If that makes sense. I love the dark atmosphere of it all... ;)

Jessie, you're in Vegas! Now that is hot! Good point, 110 degrees, I'd wilt in the AC even... ;)
Pat Tillett said…
Maybe I'll try it out after removing all mirrors from the room...
We don't wear too much clothes to sleep here in Malaysia when the nights are hot and sticky, but I've always dressed up when writing. Perhaps I should dress down for a change!

Duncan In Kuantan
Talei said…
Pat, you're hysterical! You'll be too busy writing to look in mirrors, dear friend! ;-)

Duncan, ah Malaysia - perfect conditions for dressing down! I think the Muse needs to be released some times. ;)
Elliot Grace said…
...tried it once. Got caught by my eight year old, slamming the computer keys in my striped skivvies...
Won't happen again;)

EL
Talei said…
Elliot! Come on, you're supposed to embarrass your kids. If you're not, then you are missing out! ;-) I remember my Dad chasing our errant dogs down the street one morning. In his purple striped speedos. Not pretty. I was not happy. Do it!
Dean Crawford said…
Spent all of yesterday wearing nothing but shorts whilst slaving over a hot laptop on edits for my publisher. Fortunately, my daughter is only 13 weeks, and thought nothing of it... hopefully!
Talei said…
*High fives* Dean, I think shorts count! You are officially in the Writing in Underwear Club! Its very hip right now. ;-) And don't worry, those quizzical looks from your baby daughter - she's practising for later in life! ;P
Danette said…
Tomorrow night might be just the night to do a little writing in the buff. IT's supposed to be closing in on 100 degrees-- maybe you've started something. Perhaps a Pimms to cap it off? Cheers, lovely! *clink*
Talei said…
100 degrees? I feel faint! In that case, I insist you must join the club, and Pimms sounds perfect on a sultry night! * clink * cheers to you lovely lady! x
Anonymous said…
You must visit me in the Arizona desert if you really want to experience heat. Yesterday it was 115. Even with A/C, it's bloody hot.

Popular Posts