Writings Habits for a Star Award


Thank you to the lovely Denise from Laussieswritingblog who has sent a sparkly star award whizzing to my little corner of the writing galaxy!  On accepting this lovely award, I'm to share a few of my unique writing habits!  My Inner Muse is doing cartwheels, what can we share?

1.  My favourite places to write are at my desk in the quiet of the morning or late evening.  In summer, I love sitting outside in the garden.

2.  I start with a good cup of hot tea!  Place it carefully on window sill.  Ignore my dog who is barking  at the big tabby cat who's leaping fences in a vain effort catch a terrified squirrel scrambling up a tree.


3.  In summer, a good chilled glass of Pimms accompanies me into the garden with my netbook.

4.  I keep a trusty notebook open; arrange pen so that it's lying just so on the pages!  You can glance at it for ideas - this is allowed!  Although I use a PC, I always seem to scribble notes on paper beside me.

5.  I always have music nearby!  If I'm in the mood, I'll throw on some background noise.  It helps loosen those grey cells.

6.  My favourite snack....mmm depends on the time of day.  Cookies, or toast make regular appearances on the window sill though.  Olives and houmous if in the garden.

7.  I lose track of time, and write like a demon if I'm in the zone.  Pfft, who needs 'Do not disturb' signs when that happens?


8.  Daily writing goals - I grab whatever time I can to write, whenever, wherever, its a must!  My Muse gets very pouty if I try to excuse myself.


And these, my dear friends are a few of my writing habits.  How about you? What are your writing habits?


** I am passing this beautiful shiny star onwards to these lovely souls**

Karen Jones Gowan at Coming down the mountain
Terry Stonecrop at Gardner West Private Eye
Kittie Howard at The Block
Theresa Milstein at Substitute Teachers Saga
Jaydee Morgan at Jaydee Morgan


** Happy writing this weekend Lovelies! **

Comments

Amie Borst said…
Ha ha - I love this! It's always great to see how other people write - and find time for it!

I always keep chocolate close at hand. :)
Thank you Talei for the lovely star! The one constant in my writing is the worst thing-- procrastination. That's it. All other things can change but that stays the same.
Thank you for the star award. You sound like you have a wonderful writing routine.
Talei said…
Hi Amie, thank you! Its great to hear how everyone writes ;) I love chocolate but it rarely lasts long on my desk. *sigh*
Talei said…
Hi Karen, you're very welcome! ;) Ah that devil called Pocrastination, sometimes I just take a poker to him! It works. LOL!
Talei said…
Hi Theresa, aw thanks! And you're welcome! I try my best to write daily, even if its snatched at various times or locations throughout the day. Have a lovely weekend! ;)
Kittie Howard said…
Wow, what a wonderful surprise! Thank you, Talei! I've been running errands, out in that dreadful traffic and, well, your lovely star made my day. I look forward to passing on the twinkles!!

Have a great weekend!!
Unknown said…
Great post. After getting the kids off to school each morning, I make a cup of coffee and head to my office. I try to commit at least two to three hours a day to writing. Sometimes I exceed these goals, sometimes I don't. As long as I put forth a solid effort, I walk away feeling like I accomplished something.
Angie said…
Nice award. I loved reading about your writing habits. It sounds just perfect!
Terry Stonecrop said…
Oh thanks so much for this beautiful Star award! Martinis all around! *clink*

I love your writing habits. Good show! Oh, Pimms. I haven't had that in awhile. Now it's a Needful Thing:)
Congratulations on the award! Good to hear someone else uses music to inspire.
Denise Covey said…
Talei, your writing habits sound so comfortable and yes, as Angie says, so perfect. Good for you. Here's to not drinking too much Pimms (er, whatever it is you Brits drink! Pardon me, but is it whiskey?) Sounds terribly alluring, but any alcohol and that's it for me in the writing world! Nothing like an ice-cold gin and tonic at the end of a hard writing day though. Hmmmmm...oh, it's only midday, forget it!
Talei said…
Hi Kittie! You're welcome! Hope you have a relaxing weekend! ;)
Talei said…
Hi Andrea, thanks! *sigh* Isn't it great when you get the house to yourself? ;) I've got to admit I write more when by myself.
Talei said…
Hi Ange, thanks! Always good to see how everyone writes. ;)
Talei said…
Hi Terry,

Thank you, and yes indeed, martinis all around! ;D *clink* *clink*

Pimms is also great summer drink, very popular here. Have a lovely weekend too!
Talei said…
Hi Alex - thanks! Music is essential! ;)
Talei said…
Hi Denise,

Thank you for the lovely award! Don't worry, I only take one long glass of Pimms into the garden with me. ;) Its a gin-based liquor with a special mix of spices and fruit. Very fruity and summery.

Hope you have a fab w/end - must be warm in Brisbane? Definitely Pimms weather! ;)
Jaydee Morgan said…
Thanks for passing this along my way. I really liked hearing about some of your writing routines...it's always so interesting to hear everyone's styles and habits :)
Talei said…
Thanks Jaydee, its definitely interesting to hear how everyone writes in their own little neck of the woods. ;) Hope you're feeling better. ;)
Marguerite said…
Congrats on your well deserved award and to all of your recipients! Love your writing routine. I am a night owl and like to write late at night, when everyone else is sleeping and it is quiet. A latte keeps me company. Cheers!
Mya said…
Before long you will need a keeper for your awards. Congratulations.
Does Hollywood give out stars to writers, or just actors? Well, when your novel goes to the big screen...Start practicing your penmanship for autographs.
dolorah said…
Awesome protocols. I highly recommend the Pimms - thats a wine, correct. Oh look, my hick is showing. Just bring on the moonshine (lol) And I can't write without snacks either.

I think my timing is perfect here. I have an award for you over at my blog.

......dhole
Talei said…
Oh Marguerite, writing in the quiet of night - definitely a favourite habit of mine too. ;)
Talei said…
Hello Mya! Thank you for such lovely compliments. It would be wonderful to get published! I think Hollywood gives awards for everything. LOL I'm going to do my best! *Sigh* must away to work on my WIP, nearly there. ;)
Talei said…
Hi Donna, drinks, snacks and a little nook to hide away in, thats all we need. ;)

Thanks so much - and I'm popping over to yours now. ;)

Popular Posts