Tuesday, 12 April 2011

J is for Jabberwocky

 "And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day!  Callooh!  Callay!
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and slithtoves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

-Lewis Carroll 1872
(Through the Looking-Glass and
What Alice Found There)

J'adore Alice in Wonderland!  And, The Jabberwocky is one of the earliest memories of poems from my childhood, -for some inexplicable reason, these two particular stanzas above, have remained, deep-rooted in the darkest recesses of my grey matter.   I don't know why, they just like, reside there...  It could be the words, say them aloud - they roll off your tongue and make you want to recite them, over and over, and...well you know what I mean.

As children, we love nonsensical words, they are fun to hear and learn, - alas, as adults, we forget how wonderful new words can be.  I have a plan though!  We should strive to recapture the joy of discovering ridiculously sounding made-up words, methinks!  After all, a little madness in one's day, keeps the doctor away...isn't that how things should be?  What say you?  And, yes I really wish I lived in Wonderland, -I often wander through the woods, searching for rabbit holes large enough to fall down...




Poem and photo credits via Jabberwocky

15 comments:

  1. Agree! Love to go to Wonderland. Let me know if you find the right hole.
    - mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming with you! Chortle, a wonderful word coined by Carroll when he wrote the poem. In high school, for some assignment or other, I made an illustrated dictionary of all the non-sense words. Wish I still had it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about this one: "All Moanday, Tearday, Wailsday, Thumpsday, Frightday, Shatterday."
    — James Joyce
    I think you are spot on! Playing with words is exactly what the writer should be doing!! Words are our business after all and if we don't play with them- who will?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh totally agree. Love that poem. Also loved hearing Johnny Depp recite it in a Scottish accent *__*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this poem as well! And I agree - we should all practicing making-up words. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when my nephew was 9 he read the poem. Absolutely hated it. Complained that it didn't make any sense. I always loved it and comforted him with the fact that at the very least I was getting entertainment out of him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hunting of the snark by carroll is pretty wild... a lot of my poems start out as gibberish, and some of them end that way too !
    Great Post :)

    Crying With A Sense Of Human
    .

    ReplyDelete
  8. If we all remembered how we used to play as children - imagined words and all - just a little bit more often, this world would be a better place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I came here from the A to Z blog and saw you did Jabberwocky. I did the Jabberwock as well!

    Very Awesome! Came here from the whole A to Z and was pleased to see you did the Jabberwock as well!

    J is for Jabberwock

    I'll put a link up on my post to yours as well.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I found you through the A to Z Blogfest! Great choice for J. I love Wonderland! It's been awhile since I've read Alice though. I think it's time to re-read about her delightful adventures!

    I remember studying "Jabberwocky" in school and afterwards I spent weeks writing nonsensical poetry, hahaha. I'll have to dig up some of it! It's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jabberwocky is such a great word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm curious what you thought of the most recent Alice in Wonderland movie. I thought it was fantastic, and enjoy watching it, looking for things I missed, and remembering my favorite parts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loooove Jabberwocky! So creative and inventive. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Everyone - thanks for such lovely comments, always wonderful to read through. I have followed everyone's comments back thus far. Please do yell if I missed you. ;-)

    Tx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi - I've found you through the A to Z. :)

    Jabberwocky is the first poem I ever memorized (at the age of 9) and I love it still!

    ReplyDelete