T is for Tolkien

"Never laugh at live dragons." - J.R.R Tolkien

Who can't resist J.R.R Tolkien's wonderful world of 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings'?  I grew up with 'The Hobbit', well not literally, although there was a boy in the neighbourhood, who bore an uncanny resemblance to Frodo, right down to the hairy bare feet.  Aside from the feet, he was a quite normal.

So, back in the day where I could run barefoot without a second thought to the disapproving glances of  adults, I spent many hours with my nose glued to Tolkien's fantasy books, exploring the wildly colourful land of Hobbits, Wizards, Goblins, Elves and Trees...that walked.  *deep sigh*  So, much more appealing than our real world.  And, although I adore Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, and many, many more of Tolkien's characters, I must confess that I have a soft spot for the particularly creepy slithering creature, - Gollum.  But why?! I hear you cry.  Here's why, -he's a sinister, slippery devil, - driven by his blinding passion for his 'precious' ring, and you can never tell what he's up to.  I am drawn to the little creep, really.  I guess.  Let's just say, he's compelling, unforgettable, and as a writer, I would love to create such character.   How about you? Any favourite Hobbits, Elves, or dare I suggest creepy creatures?

gollum07.jpg
  
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something.  You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after." -J.R.R. Tolkien ( The Hobbit)


Photo courtesy via JoshuaHarris
Quotes via Goodreads

Comments

catdownunder said…
Oh dear it has to be Gandalf - but I have no idea why. If he met me he would not even deign to notice me!
My brother was the big Tolkien reader. I couldn't wrap my head around it. But, writing a character as memorable as Gollum would be very cool.
Unknown said…
Um, I like Aragorn and Legolas, and yes, that does have something to do with the guys who played them in the movies!
Luana Krause said…
I'm a fan of Sam. The theme of friendship is personified in him. I agree...creating a character like Gollum would be amazing.
Michael Di Gesu said…
I vote for Gandalf....

What a fantastic story.... I adore Tolkein. Those books made me fall in love with fantasy.
Mya said…
I have finally caught up with your daily writings, and I have enjoyed this trek.
If you can write this interestingly on a daily basis I think you should get paid for contributing to a newspaper. It would give people something to look forward to instead of picking up the paper with the dread of the day. Surely there is a place in the paper needing your thoughts, blurbs and quips.
TS Hendrik said…
I love Gollum. He's one of the most interesting characters. I also always like Boromir. I always loved how such a strong character could be so weak.
Lori M. Lee said…
Gandalf b/c he was pretty much awesome personified. And Legolas b/c he was Hot Like Fire.
Anonymous said…
A post after my own heart!

I am the biggest Middle Earth/Tolkien/Peter Jackson fan. In the books, I have to say it is Samwise and Faramir who steal every scene. I love their sense of loyalty and decency.

In the movies, you can't beat Aragorn for pure heroics, and I also love the way they redeemed Boromir - something that Tolkien didn't really do very well.

I cannot wait to see what the filmmakers do with The Hobbit. The Battle of the 5 Armies should be a cracker of a scene. I find the book quite stilted in its movement and so I trust PJ to judge the flow perfectly.
Danette said…
My precious! My precioussss!!!! (as a kid reader I found Gollum a little frightening because he was obsession run amuck but as a writer, he's great!) I could never find any girls who liked Tolkien the way I did! The girls wanted romance and relationship books. I loved the adventure and magic! Hope your having a lovely warm weekend! It's a bit shivery here. Cheers! "clinks glass*
Unknown said…
GREAT CHOICE! That didn't even dawn on me!!! Love it!! Who doesn't love those movies!

Happy Easter!
Talei said…
Cat, Gandalf is quite the Wizard! Miaou ;-)

Heather, agreed. I also loved the submissive Doppy from Harry Potter. Thought he was wonderful but like the anti-Gollum. ;-)

Rachel, love both those characters! Especially the film version. ;-)

Luana, if I were embarking on an EPIC adventure, I'd want to share it with a few friends. Sam is the perfect buddy.

Michael, you're in good company with your choice! Gandalf - Wizard of all Wizards!

Mya, THAT would be wonderful! Write a column, maybe on a weekly basis? I could do that *nods to self* I've many burbs, ahem, blurbs and ramblings to share with anyone willing to listen. ;-)) Could someone, like, please arrange that? Merci!

TS, Boromir is indeed a favourite! Great, great choice!

Lori, love it! 'Awesome personified', and, 'Hot like fire', oh YES!

Donna, I wait beside you with bated breath for PJ's ' The Hobbit'. Also, looking forward to 'Wind in the Willows'. * Shivers of excitement* All hail, Mr Jackson, the King Fantasy Filmmaker. ;-)

Danette, "my prreeccious" indeed. Do you know that my name actually means ' Precious' in Fijian? ;-) This is true. *clink* Hope you're having a FAB weekend my dear.

Jen, hello and THANK YOU! ;-)) Love me some Tolkien! Happy Easter to you and your family!

Popular Posts