Book Review: The Sugar Queen


Ever fallen under the spell of another writer?  Humour me, darlings. I know you have.  After reading 'Garden Spells' by Sarah Addison Allen, I did the usual 'google-stalk-search' thing for her online and was happily placated when I stumbled upon her other book titles.  Within a heartbeat of closing 'Garden Spells', I was flying through amazon reviews and filling my virtual shopping basket like a kid in a candy store.  Out-of-control, in need of that sugar hit.

'The Sugar Queen' is set in North Carolina and the main protagonist is Josey Cirrini, a recluse at twenty-seven years old who lives the life of a nun at home with her over-bearing mother - a true Southern Belle, whose whims she must attend to on a daily basis - its like a self-imposed penance for past sins.  Skeletons, secrets and closets feature throughout the scenes and Josey has several secrets of her own - her hankering for junk food and romance novels which she keeps stashed in the back of her rather large wardrobe and her crush on the hunky mailman.  One morning, Josey's life is turned upside when bad girl Della Lee appears in her wardrobe - and refuses to budge. Della Lee seems to be hiding her own problems but freely offers up unsolicited advice to Josey, provoking her on her daily routine - her clothes, her make-up, her mother, and her non-existent love life.  Needless to say, Josey finds herself thrown into situations she'd never dreamt of before the great intrusion of Della Lee.

Did I like it?  'The Sugar Queen' had me from chapter one, its a wonderfully woven tale of love, friendship and relationships, with a touch of the supernatural throughout.  I enjoyed all the characters and mini sub-plots. Would I recommend it?  Hell, yes.  If you like a witty storyline with lashings of magic, this ones for you. I read it in one sitting and I'm looking forward to reading more of Ms Allen's offerings.


A/N:  I hope you had a wonderful weekend, mine was relatively sane.  Mother has flown the coop and its back to a peaceful existence, ahem... I jest.  This week, its another hectic schedule in the parallel universe but I'll be posting on Wednesday and Friday - I hope to catch up with you all soon.  Talei xox

Comments

Kimberly Krey said…
Okay, okay, I'm convinced. Putting it on the 'to read' list right away. Thanks for sharing the review, my dear! :)
Thanks for the suggestion. I like the "Hell yes!" recommendations.
Talli Roland said…
This sounds fantastic! And I do love the cover. Thanks for the review!
Danette said…
I do love finding great authors! There's just nothing more fun is there? Then there's the whole shopping thing- such fun!

Life never does slow down does it? I take a deep breath only to pick up speed for the next crazy week! Time to get some writing done! Had a lovely Sunday though hope you did the same- *clink, clink*
Meredith said…
Alright, definitely have to check this one out. I need a good Southern story, I think. :) Thanks for the review!
Peggy Eddleman said…
The title and the cover sold me. I'm so glad the inside is fabulous, too! Heading over to Goodreads RIGHT NOW.
Oh, this looks amazing! That cover is beautiful! I'm glad you liked it. I'm putting it on my to-read list now! :) It's nice to *meet* you!! :D

Popular Posts